Sunday, March 3, 2013

Happy Half

Well, I have been off my blog for a while. My bad! Things have been busy, but in a good way, and my week culminated with me competing in my first half marathon in 2 years this morning! But more on that in a second.

Yesterday was my birthday and it was a great day. My team of amazing co-workers treated me to the most delicious petite-fours on Friday!
 
Super yumm!!! I love these little things!! The perfect amount of goodness!!
 
Friday night, B took me shopping and I got some great birthday goodies and we even had a yummy meal. Saturday (my birthday) was spent relaxing getting ready for my race the next day. I seriously have found the secret the perfect pre-race meal!
 
Steak, a baked potato and a Shiner Bock! A couple of years ago, before my first half I discovered this meal the night before my race and I felt GREAT the next day. So, why mess with a good thing right!
 
This morning I was up crazy early to make the 6:30AM start! I had agreed to do the race with a friend of mine that I ran with last week in the 10K. But, due to an injury to her hip, she had to pull out of the race so she didn't hurt herself more. I was bummed at first, but I completely understand as I am having some FEET (yes, feet, as in BOTH my feet - OUCH!)issues. But I felt I needed to go through with the race. And I am so so SO glad I did! At the starting line it was a frigid 34 degrees, but I very quickly warmed up and shredded my first layer by mile one. I got a special shirt for today and this was definitely my mantra for this race,
 
Don't, be Last! This was a definite conversation starter! I made quite a few friends on the route! I love the camaraderie at races. Everyone is so friendly and encouraging. It is one of my favorite things about running!
 
I ran the entire 13.1 miles and the first half of the race I ran a 13:33/mm and the second half of the race I got a little faster and averaged a 12:58/mm. I will take it! I finished the race under the time I estimated! My official time was 2:52:55... I finished 63rd in my age group (new age group btw!!) and 635th overall. I am sooooo happy i decided to follow through and do the race! I have no regrets! I am thrilled!
 
And now for one more first before I log off for the night... Check out the post race food,




Cant beat the smell of pizza at 9:30 in the morning after running 13.1 miles! Never had this right after a race! haha! Hope everyone has a great start to their week! 5 MORE days till Spring Break!!!

Smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment